To experience connections with other people
● To increase body awareness
● To increase connection skills to others
● To increase self-appreciation
● To increase the internal ability to release and undo stress
Short description/background/Introduction/Tips for the trainer
This is a high-risk movement / touching exercise, which can evoke strong emotions. Trainer is required to have experience in somatic-based dancing as well as containing emotionally risky situations.
On the other hand this is also a very deep learning experience with others.
This exercise is not a stand-alone: it can be used at the end of a somatic process built up with a warm-up and perhaps other, simpler contact and movement exercises..
30 min (or more) + debriefing, which can be other 30 min
1. People are paired up. The first person is the one moving, the other is the mover. The mover gives directions to the moving person: he/she draws lines from the top of the ears towards the sky, touches the back of the knees to increase the release of the legs, and finally lightly touches the torso. Then the puppeteer moves his/her puppet by means of the imaginary wires and makes it move through space. Then, the roles are reversed.
2. The sequence of movement is as follows:
● The puppeteer moves the puppet by means of imaginary strings, but the puppet can interpret the movements and invent them as he/she sees fit, freely.
● After a while there are less and less strings arriving, as the mover perceives that the moving person is moving more and more independently
● Eventually, the touches stop and the person moving becomes the holder of the space and the observer, while the person moving continues to dance independently like a puppet that has lost its strings but continues to feel them.
● Once the process has been completed by both members of the pair, the puppets all dance freely.
● The marionettes can later also contact others, and dance together.
● For the final position, the puppets have to find a way to arrange themselves as if someone were photographing them, imagining a final choreography without being told or spoken to.
0. In the end, the group stands in a circle, holding hands, and eye-contacting each other.
0. After 1-2 minutes, the silence is broken and the exercise comes to an end.
There should be enough time given to debrief. There can be several feelings and feedback. Most probably this is an overwhelmingly good experience.